The acclaimed Doctor Who comics and artwork fanzine Vworp Vworp! returns with its sixth issue in November 2023.
Edited and designed by Colin Brockhurst and published by Gareth Kavanagh, this 180-page issue celebrates the genesis of the show in 1963, with a host of features and interviews with talent from both sides of the camera.
With three fabulous covers to choose from AND an exclusive DVD to thrill, get ready for a deep dive into the very best art, interviews and fan scholarship as we rapidly approach the 60th anniversary of Doctor Who on November 23rd.
Highlights of issue 6 include:
- THE WAIF FROM SPACE - We catch up with CAROLE ANN FORD to discuss her memories of the earliest days of Doctor Who and the joys and frustrations of playing the Doctor’s granddaughter
- We take in THE VIEW FROM THE GALLERY, as Andrew Orton painstakingly reconstructs the sets and conditions for the filming of An Unearthly Child sixty years ago in Lime Grove Studios
- Exclusive interviews with MARK GATISS and actor BRIAN COX, discussing the making of their 2013 hymn to the Hartnell era, An Adventure in Space and Time
- DESPERATELY SEEKING REG - Vworp Vworp!’s editor Colin Brockhurst turns detective, hot on the trail of the very first actor to grace Doctor Who on the screen, the mysterious REG CRANFIELD
- Who was THE FAMILY WHO? We take a deep dive into the lives of Doctor Who’s first family, the Hartnells, with recollections from his granddaughter ANNE CARNEY and a rare interview with Bill’s wife, HEATHER HARTNELL
- Brand new interviews with vision mixer CLIVE DOIG and the Radiophonic Workshop’s BRIAN HODGSON, two television pioneers who broke new ground working on 1963’s 100,000BC
- HUNTERS OF THE BURNING STONE - We go behind the scenes of Doctor Who Magazine’s seminal 50th anniversary celebration comic strip with writer SCOTT GRAY and artist MARTIN GERAGHTY
- In-depth, illustrated articles on several of Doctor Who’s 1963 pioneers, including JACQUELINE HILL, ANTHONY COBURN, DAVID WHITAKER, NORMAN KAY, REX TUCKER and FRED RAWLINGS… and much more!
Also, as well as short stories by JOHN DORNEY and JOHN PEEL, issue 6 features three brand new comic strips featuring the First and Fifteenth Doctors:
- THE NIGHT BEFORE - The Doctor and Susan navigate the strange phenomenon of Beatlemania! Written by Tim Quinn with art by Tim Keable
- OVERDUE - A curious history book on the shelves of Shoreditch Library spells danger for the Doctor and Susan. Written by Lance Parkin with art by Faiz Rehman
- HISTORY, BANGS AND STINKS - It’s 1963 and there’s a new Doctor at Coal Hill School, just not the one we were expecting! Written by Paul Ebbs with art by Simon Brett
Our exciting FREE GIFT this issue is a DVD packed with brand new animations and archive features exploring the genesis of the show, intriguing what ifs and sidesteps into the unknown! Expect:
- A MEETING ON THE COMMON - A dynamic, 18 minute animation of the much loved alternative opening to Doctor Who, as told by David Whitaker in his classic 1964 novelisation Doctor Who in an Exciting Adventure with the Daleks.
Directed and animated by Mel Meanley, adapted by Ian Winterton and starring Stephen Noonan (the Doctor), Adam Grayson (Ian), Helen Stirling-Lane (Barbara) and Kerry Ely (Susan)
- WE FLAME TO PLEASE - Ever wondered what Doctor Who getting the Hanna-Barbera treatment would have looked like back in 1966? Wonder no longer, with this lovingly written and animated homage to the golden age of children’s animation from Graham Kibble-White.
Join Dr Who on a visit to the Stone Age, complete with repeating background and laughter track, starring Siobhan Gallichan as Dr Who, with Adam Grayson, Helen Stirling-Lane and Stephen Noonan
- INTERLUDE ON TOTTER’S LANEA short drama written by Andy Lane, exploring the consequences of life with the Doctor and why he must never go back to the very beginning. Starring Peter Purves as Steven Taylor and Siobhan Gallichan as the Doctor. Presented as a ‘telesnap reconstruction’
- ORIGINAL DOCTOR WHO NOVEMBER 1963 RADIO TRAILER RECONSTRUCTION - A reconstruction of the long-lost original Doctor Who radio trailer. Originally recorded by William Hartnell in advance of the very first broadcast, the trailer offered listeners their very first glimpse of the Doctor.
This piece of radio history has been recreated by Stephen Noonan using the original script retained in the archives
- AN AUDIENCE WITH WARIS HUSSEIN - A career retrospective with Doctor Who’s very first director, the BAFTA and Emmy winning Waris Hussein, in conversation with Matt Charlton. Recorded at VideOdyssey Studios, Liverpool, in 2019
Choose from three incredible new covers!
- Cover A – TOTTER’S LANE, main cover with art by ROBERT HACK
- Cover B – EVERLASTING MATCH, limited edition cover from the legendary JEFF CUMMINS
- Cover C – INSIDE THE SHIP, limited edition cover from COLIN BROCKHURST and ANDREW ORTON
Vworp Vworp! Volume 6 - 60 YEARS OF AN UNEARTHLY CHILD
Take a deep dive into the lives of Doctor Who’s first family
The Waif from Space
Catch up with CAROLE ANN FORD to discuss her memories of the earliest days of Doctor Who